[PD] [OT] Re: DIY GSoC: getting those projects done

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 31 02:41:42 CEST 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2009, at 5:32 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:
>> I like the idea of this behaviour being defined by the class author, but
>> (re)configurable by the user.
> Sounds like an interesting idea, its something more like how vvvv works.  For
> me, I make sense of vvvv by thinking of it as Pd with only tilde objects, no
> message objects.

He doesn't mean to have everything work like the DSP. In that case there
wouldn't be hot inlets nor cold inlets and so you wouldn't need them to be
reconfigurable. He's talking about making them configurable.

If you make everything work like the DSP (that is, one message per block,
or one message per sample, whichever), then there are quite a few things
you can't do anymore or have to do in different ways: can't avoid sending
a message during a tick, and can't send more than one message during a
tick, and can't recurse in any way, even to a cold inlet (you can't sum
the values in a signal using just [+~] connected to itself...).