[PD] pd book sprint

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 31 22:29:32 CEST 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I think the two ranges for this discussion separate signals versus controls.
> A sawtooth~ is a signal that is meant to be listened to, so it would good
> from -1 to 1.  A phasor~ is the exact same shape as a sawtooth~, but it is
> meant to be a control, so it is 0 to 1.  You could easily switch the two with
> some basic math, but most of the time, you'll want your controls to be 0 to 1
> and your signals -1 to 1.   A similar pair would be square~ (signal) and pwm~
> (control).

Those words could be chosen differently. In Pd, signal means both of those
things, as it's a single type of wire and a single type of data; and about
control... I used to often see the phrase "control object" to mean
"message-system object"... but I don't recall whether that was in Pd or in
jMax. In any case I think it would be better to say that the 0-to-1 signal
is intended as a "multiplicator" or "envelope" whereas the -1-to-1 signal
is intended as a... non-multiplicator... or non-envelope... you may have
better ideas for names.