[PD] partconv optimization

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Mar 10 18:12:22 CET 2009

I think the mac/fink builds of FFTW do use SSE2, since that is the
minimum that a Mac/Intel has.  I believe SSE2 is required to run Mac/
Intel.

As for more optimizations, I would like to turn those on for the whole
Pd-extended builds, but the strict-aliasing errors need to be fixed in
order to do that.  If you want to make this happen quicker, you could
check the archives about the strict aliasing errors, and submit fixes
to the patch tracker.

.hc

On Mar 10, 2009, at 8:36 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> Ben tried to write an SSE version of the convolution routine, but
> did not get a working one.  As I recall the problem is that SSE
> lacks a critical operation to make it efficient (or perhaps even
> possible) to run as vector code.  You can always just set the
> compiler flags to the extreme levels and see if that helps.
>
> I wrote Altivec code for partconv~ a few years ago, and built a PPC
> version with an optimized FFTW, but I don't know if that is what is
> included with pd-extended or not.  I guess if you can load it on
> Intel machines it is running a more generic version.  FFTW needs to
> have at least an architecture, or ideally a CPU, specific build to
> run well.
>

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Gregorio G. Karman <ggkarman at musicologia.com
> > wrote:
> hello,
>
> I would appreciate knowing if the build of partconv~ v0.2 included in
> 0.40.3-extended-macosx104 is currently taking advantage of sse
> optimization?
>
> thanks
>
> Gregorio
> --
> Gregorio García Karman
> Runzstraße 71.
> 79102 Freiburg - Germany
> home: 0049 (0)761 2852 808
> office: 0049 (0)761 3808 276
> handy: 0049 (0)1515 3292 098

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams