[PD] adaptive amplification?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Mar 13 08:05:23 CET 2009

Hallo,
Oded Ben-Tal hat gesagt: // Oded Ben-Tal wrote:

> I need to mic a player who will play either tiny, soft sounds (extended
> technique playing) or normal musical sounds soft-to-load. I want to mix
> the instrument sound with pd generated material BUT I want to amplify the
> soft sounds while only mixing a little bit of the normal sounds.
> Is there some clever way of making pd 'identify' the incoming sound and
> boost the signal when the input is the soft ones only?

You need a compressor with a so called side-chain. The RjDj library has two:
e_compress.pd and e_dynproc.pd at: http://trac.rjdj.me/browser/trunk/rjlib/rj/
(e_dynproc can also be used as a noisegate, which is an kind of inverse compressor)

Feed the signal to control into the left and the controlling signal into the
middle inlet~.

Ciao
--
Frank