[PD] [PD-announce] Pd FLOSS Manuals Book Sprint WIKI

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 3 01:44:09 CEST 2009

I had some questions about the next days:

- the berlin one starts at "noon". what is noon exactly here, or, how does
it translates into a definite hour?
- how late is "late" as well? (for some people, 4am isn't late)
- I don't have time now to be thinking of a new super concept to make
people understand digital audio in 5 minutes. so I would be glad to revise
material that other people don't want to touch.
- when are the pauses to have a beer at treptower park if it's still as
sunny as today?

I had some questions about the "philosophical" point of this. I was just
having a look at the manuals:

- the manuals are a bit loose, it's a bit of nice ideas put together
(which is normal for the beginning). maybe they could be organized around
themes later?
- they're also made almost as if they would be the only resources online.
how about putting at least a reference to the pd original tutorials? (I
can go hunt for that) or maybe even to other tutorials spread around (that
might be a bit more tricky, in case this material isn't that solid)
- what's the main goal of this manual? just include as much stuff as
possible, or is there an "editorial line", or a finished form to aim at?
- in general, I guess the dataflow (or control) tutorials could be more
developed - comparing with the audio ones, they're behind. shouldn't they
also come first, sequentially?
- there was some comments before about incorporating pd-ext into the
manuals. that means that pd-ext is then the "official" version? (which is
fine for me, makes more sense for newcommers) in that case, the most
stable libraries should be included in the manuals as well (making a
reference that they're not available in pd-van) - at least the materials
everyone knows they're going to stay there for a while.

also: Frank, how about a section about lists and how they're useful on a
day-to-day basis, in case you're on action this weekend?

--
Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin (Deutschland)