[PD] Writing -dB or VU level to a TXT File

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Apr 4 03:23:35 CEST 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Pall Thayer wrote:

> Oh, I just noticed you're on Windows

but the ">>" redirection operator that you use does exist in MSDOS and
compatible... I've used it in the eighties.

> I would think that on Windows you have to do something like [write
> C:\tmp\textfile.txt] but I'm not positive. Anyway, the problem I see is
> the path to the file. /tmp/textfile.txt means nothing to Windows.
> Have you tried [write C:/tmp/textfile.txt] ?

The slashes do work with the Windows API, though they might not work with
the Windows shell and commandline arguments in general. The slash is
reserved for options, but is reused in the Windows API as an alternative
to the backslash, for slightly greater UNIX compatibility. Then
"/tmp/textfile.txt" goes in the toplevel folder "tmp" of the current
drive, so, this is a drive-relative path, which is an intermediate between
an absolute path and a relative path.

> Oh, and you'll probably have to make sure that a folder named tmp
> actually exists and can be written to by anybody.

AFAIR, this would be c:/windows/temp ?... that's what I recall as a value
for the $TEMP envvar, either in DOS or some UNIX<->Windows compat thing or
both...