[PD] a story for Lists

padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Apr 6 10:28:40 CEST 2009

This has always confused me, and even in my book I took a simplified
approach to explaining lists.

It is definitely worth working hard on this passage
to choose clear and agreed words.

a.

Hallo,

> In keeping with the FLOSSmanuals methodology, we need a story to tell
> when introducing lists.  I have the intro done, but now we need a story
> (i.e. developing an example program).  I was thinking that a story
> involving only lists of numbers would be a good place to start.

Sorry for not being able to contribute much currently (I'm moving houses) but
think a neat usecase for lists and meta messages (which are important to
explain in that context as well) could be the ADSR envelope. Its parameters
are
a list of four (rsp. five with level) numbers. It can be very useful to be
able
to set a ADSR by passing complete lists. It can also be useful to set the
parameters with meta-messages like "A 20, D 30, S 76, R 300".

Here's an implementation of an adsr that relies heavily on list-processing:
http://footils.org/cms/weblog/2009/mar/21/adsr-envelopes-pd/

I would also strongly recommend to use a consistent terminology for lists that
are not lists in the Pd sense: I would call them meta-messages just like
Miller
does, and if there's ambiguity the manual should call proper lists
"list-messages".

In the Lists-chapter at http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/PureData/Lists it
may be useful to also use a non-commutative math object like [/] or [-] with
list-input, because that's a useful trick to quickly get the inverse or
complement of a number: [1 $1(---[/ ]

Ciao
--
Frank