[PD] >, <, &&, || etc

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Apr 6 19:01:25 CEST 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> --- On Mon, 4/6/09, Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Oh I see. But that notation is only standard in shell languages and is
>> not going to help someone guess the name of the object or what it does,
>> especially if they are not used to english. You could name [or] just
>> [o] for example...a saving of one letter in exchange for an infinite
>> increase in uncertainty. It would contribute to making Pd a secret
>> language for initiates who bang until.
> Are you saying that initiates would know a secret way to bang until that
> does not cause Pd to freeze?

It's all about users who don't want to read helpfiles and refuse to learn
anything and whose opinion is still important, I don't know why.

> Or, that an infinite increase in uncertainty would dull the users'
> senses so much that they could no longer tell the difference between an
> operational and frozen patch?

You have to question the infinite increase in uncertainty. Why was this
said? is Martin assuming [o] to be an abbreviation for every possible
current or future word that may start by [o] ? And somehow at once the
user can't possibly be bothered to open the help file to figure what "o"
means.

> Pd is already a secret language for initiates.  Even your hypothetical
> beginner is required to guess the name and functionality of what should
> be a standard object.  But I imagine the work everyone is doing on
> organizing libraries by category will go a long way towards remedying
> that.

A system of mutually-exclusive categories is not very hyperlinked...
multiple tags per class is a way that is a lot more helpful in getting
people to find what they need, as there is usually more than one useful
tag to put on a class, and a system of mutually-exclusive categories only
allows one such word at the expense of others.