[PD] >, <, &&, || etc

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 8 07:14:49 CEST 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 5:26 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So a library like 'audiomath' would then have audiomath/
>> libaudiomath.pd_linux.  Normally, audiomath/libaudiomath.pd_linux
>> would only include shared code, but for this case, it would also
>> include the >~ class, etc.
>
> i guess you meant to name it either "audiomath/
> libaudiomath.so" (or .dll or .dylib) or "audiomath/
> audiomath.pd_linux".

Perhaps audiomath/libaudiomath.so makes the most sense so that it
can't be loaded by Pd as an objectclass.  But I am guessing.

> the latter is btw, similar to what zexy and/or Gem suggest
> "upstream" (that is: from my side; not to be confused with any
> packagers' versions):: zexy/zexy.pd_linux holds shared code (e.g.
> [>~]) and signle-file-object live side-by-side to it, e.g. rad2deg.pd;
>
> i admit that currently all C-code is considered "shared" (that is:
> there is no "list2symbol.pd_linux"), but once you start blurring the
> two worlds it get's blurry anyhow (and "l2s" and "list2symbol" share
> about 100% of their code anyhow)

I like having each objectclass as its own file.  Then only the code
that is in use will be loaded into memory.  linking everything
together into one zexy.pd_linux means the whole thing is loaded into
memory, no?

> having said all that, i think it is a good idea: i would like to be
> able (e.g. in Pd-extended) to "load" Gem (without modifying the
> path!) and it should find Gem/Gem.pd_linux and add Gem/ to it's
> search paths (for abstractions and single-file externals)
> i would also like to have Pd's loading mechanism modified so that it
> _temporarily_ adds Gem/ to the dylib-searchpath, so one could ship a
> library with external dependencies (without having to link them
> statically)

I am sure you don't mean to do this on GNU/Linux, right?

I take it you mean like including a .dylib in the Gem folder?  Kind of
like what I do with Pd-extended and the Fink dylibs?  That is not a
great system.  I think due to the limitations of the Mac OS X shared
lib loading, it would be painful.  Basically, AFAIK, a .dylib in Mac
OS X must have its path hard-coded in the file.  Otherwise, you have
to load it manually with a direct call to dlopen.  I don't remember
the details in Windows, I think that it already checks "." for .dlls
by default.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler