[PD] mapping: path setting hell

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 8 07:41:11 CEST 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:28 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner hat gesagt: // Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, there is some absurdity to this conversation.  I guess Frank
>>> and I
>>> have been doing this for so long, its just part of a game we
>>> play ;-)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I could give the instructions in one step:
>>>
>>> 1. use Pd-extended ;-)
>>
>> But that's exactly what I mean: "mapping" IMO has become promotion
>> material for
>> pd-extended, but increasingly hard to use for users of newer Pd
>> versions or
>> alternative distributions.
>>
>>> I don't think many newbies really want to get into the nitty-
>>> gritty of
>>> hand-built Pd installs, but this conversation did make me smooth
>>> out the
>>> installation process.  Before, the 10 steps were for creating a
>>> library
>>> from scratch.  I think its pretty simple considering.  Now, the

>>> 2. svn co http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/externals/mapping
>>> 3. svn co http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/abstractions/purepd
>>> 4. pd -lib libdir -lib purepd -lib mapping
>>
>> You cheat a bit here: "svn co whereverlibdiris; make libdir", and I
>> don't know,
>> if help-files in mapping work then - with just your sets they
>> won't. And you
>> still have the requirement of putting the directories mapping and
>> purepd into a
>> directory in the pd path like "extra", so it's still four paths to
>> set, just
>> like I wrote in my first mail.
>
> How about checking whether help files work before reporting the
> problem?  You only need to install libdir once.  Plus if you use the
> latest version of libdir, then 'extra' can be any folder in the
> path.  I suggest one of these:
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files-with-pd-extended

Oops, forgot the link to the libdir binary, no compiling necessary.
Its the older one, so that still requires installing into 'extra', I
am working on a new release:

http://at.or.at/hans/pd/objects.html#libdir

.hc