[PD] Pdpedia and random generation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 9 04:59:09 CEST 2009

I don't think that pdpedia is a replacement or substitute for
interactive help patches.  But mediawiki is a great tool for getting
lots of bits of information from a lot of people.  So I think that
pdpedia could be used as a place to orgnanize content, like reference
info, links to related algorithms, links to related video tutorials,
etc.  That material  could then be filtering into the help patches
themselves.

A pd-help file wiki would be great, but until then, I think pdpedia
could be useful.

.hc

On Apr 8, 2009, at 10:35 PM, dmotd wrote:

> [...]
> of it like a categorised + tagged svn. this would be a place where
> people can upload files relating to pd use, examples of usage,
> methods of interfacing and anything else that gets passed around on
> this mailing list. keeping with the same wiki format of edits by
> anyone, and versioning each subsequent edit. then in a similar
> method to mediawiki api calls, pd internally could request a list
> of articles (pd-patches) and dynamically retrieve requested
> articles from the pdwiki. thus making the system much more usable
> within the pd environment.
>
> i think the benefit of this would be quite obvious to pd-users, as
> it has been stated many times by numerous people that a plain text
> wiki reference doesn't really make much sense without the
> interactive characteristics of an actual patch.
>
> this is something i would happily put energies into development, and
> in many ways have already started. i will likely end up building
> something that works in this way anyway, so please throw in
> suggestions, before i get carried away ;)
>
> ciao,
>
> dmotd
>

> On Thursday 09 April 2009 07:25:06 Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> There are lots of good ideas worth trying.  We've talked about it
>> a lot, we just need someone to take charge of it.  I am just too
>> overloaded to handle pdpedia on top of everything else.  Who
>> wants to own it?
>>
>> .hc

>>> yes I agree. At the origin in 2006..., I have suggested to some
>>> french PDers the following features:

>>> ----------
>>>
>>> * a lexicon-dictionary about objects/externals/abstractions (
>>> Done)
>>>
>>> * a category search portal ( one of the most important feature
>>> for pd newbies ), like in Wikipedia portal
>>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipédia:Catégories ( to do)
>>>
>>> Example of category search:
>>> PD==>Graphics==>Video==>Live==>Effects==>Blending==> pix_add /
>>> pix_subtract /pix_diff /pix_composite/ pix_multiply/ PDP_blend
>>> ( fiction...)
>>>
>>> * multilingual structure as Wikipedia ( very important for
>>> educational uses in the world where people will stay with
>>> commercial software just for this reason ( France for example))
>>> (Done)
>>>
>>> future options, when the database will be completed enough:
>>>
>>> * tools or wiki tags for visualizing patches ( parsing of the
>>> patch code to create an image of the patch, server side) and
>>> downloading text patches from PDpedia
>>>
>>> * Pdpedia database embedded with PD extended ( when completed)
>>> for offline consulting
>>>
>>> * in PD: a contextual help with access to the related pdpedia
>>> page (in PD itself or online)

>>> ----------
>>>
>>> About the formatting of one page, I have suggested the
>>> rubriques:
>>>

>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>> (from the body of the page)
>>>
>>> Nature of the element (object/external/abstraction/
>>> Outlets
>>> Arguments
>>> Messages
>>> *
>>> Warnings and incompatibilities
>>> Tricks and alternative ways to do it
>>> Examples ( expanded help file+ other examples with pictures),
>>> links to video examples
>>> Tutorials on this element, links to videos
>>> Associated objects, related objects
>>> Equivalents in similar open source softwares
>>> *
>>> Author(s) of the object, links
>>> Contributors of this page.
>>>

>>> ----------