[PD] Pdpedia and random generation

dmotd dmotd at gmx.net
Thu Apr 9 16:09:04 CEST 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009 23:14:28 Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> dmotd hat gesagt: // dmotd wrote:
> > i am not at all convinced that pdpedia/mediawiki serves as a
> > good method for object reference. it is difficult to maintain
> > (a lot of manual copy and paste), its search/sort functionality
> > is limited, the up/down stream api is severely lacking and most
> > of all it is difficult to integrate it into a pd environment
> > (outside of simple pddp links which are usually inside the
> > object reference anyhow).
>
> I believe, reference documentation belongs into the code and
> additional display methods should be generated from that. What's
> currently useful in pdpedia mostly was generated by a script, but
> a year or so ago and it may already be outdated or referring to
> objects not available anymore (i.e.
> http://wiki.puredata.info/en/mapping/degrees0x2d0x3emapping)
>
> Ciao

hey frank,

yes this is exactly my point, though pd is not the first language to
find methods referenced in documentation are severely outdated. and
pd is not a text-based language, so text based documentation is
already a hurdle. what i am interested in developing is a wiki that
incorporates the pd patcher paradigm, so that reference material
and examples can be submitted as pd-code. how this is dismantled
and presented in text w/ diagrams is irrelevant as long as the
folks looking at a text based reference understand that a greater
depth to the same reference exists within pd.

hopefully something a little more personalised to the pd project can
come from these qualms/observations :)

cheers,

dmotdf