[PD] mapping: path setting hell

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 10 04:42:48 CEST 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 2:33 AM, cyrille henry wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

>>> since all mapping object are in the same directory, using the
>>> [reverse] form inside the object will still work on pd-extended.
>>> but it will also make the mapping lib more flexible (you'll be
>>> able to move the objects / copy them in your patch directory ). So
>>> i see this as a big improvement of the situation.
>>>
>>> do you agree if i change this?
>> Unfortunately, that's not entirely true, otherwise I would say to
>> change it.  Right now, a binary object will trump ANY abstraction,
>> even if it is in the same directory.  So if someone loads a binary
>> object called "reverse", then [reverse] will ALWAYS be that binary,
>> so matter where you put reverse.pd or how you load it.  [mapping/
>> reverse] prevents that.
> name clash are bad.
> curently it's a fact.
> things may change in the future, but now nameclash must be avoid.
>
> since there already are nameclash, it's important for a user to have
> a full control of the object used.
> i do this by copying abstraction in my patch folder.
> it also allow my patch to work latter, when the abstraction have
> changed.

Copying the abstraction into the same folder as the project will not
prevent the problem I described above.  As things are, that's not a
solution. I think it'll work most of time, like most of these methods
we discuss back and forth.

The namespace prefix like [mapping/reverse] is also not infallable,
but it is a lot less likely to be affected by nameclashes, since there
would have to be both a folder and a file named the same.  It seems to
me a good starting place.  In any case, nameclashes are an old issue,
many people have tackled it, I think we can learn from them and make a
Pd-ish implementation of namespaces/import that is not complicated.

I think we can make a solution that always works.  I am not satisfied
with just using the current situation.  I've been burned too many
times in projects and while teaching workshops and classes by name
conflicts.  The output~ one is a recent example.

.hc