[PD] pdscript ?

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 13:47:29 CEST 2009

Dear list,

I get jealous when I see SuperCollider users sending around one-liners
like:

play{SinOsc.ar(OnePole.ar(Mix( LFSaw.ar([1,0.99],[0,0.6],
2000,2000).trunc([400,600])*[1,-1] ),0.98)).dup*0.1}

Having a scripting language front-end is a great way to share snippets
of code on social networks, twitter, chat and the like. To my
knowledge Pd has nothing like this; the only way to express a patch is
graphically, right? This got me thinking about alternative (textual)
ways to express a dataflow/DSP graph.

Firstly I'd love to know if anyone else has worked on this. I'd also
be interested to know if there are any existing *textual* dataflow
languages that could be useful here.

Anyhow, I've had a first stab at a textual representation of a Pd
graph. It can be found at:

          http://www.jamiebullock.com/2009/04/pdscript.html

Thoughts welcome!

Jamie