[PD] embedded preferences...

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Apr 10 22:22:12 CEST 2009

hi

Miller Puckette wrote:
> I think this is a good idea, but don't know in detail how to do it.
> Patches should be able to have a say as to what they "prefer" (beyond
> what's available via the declare object) but they can't just smash over
> everything - for instance, they might not know what audio device they
> should use.

actually my need comes from wanting to automatically open a certain
patch when starting Pd.
so - while i think that every configuration i can store in a patch is a
great plus - this doesn't necessarily solve my problems.

i think a good idea would be to automatically look for a special patch
(e.g. bin/autostart.pd) and always open it.

i would even go as far as use this patch to store all the preferences
(and get rid of the system-specific preference system).

for the sake of clarity, this patch should then be opened invisibly.
if somebody wanted to edit it, they can always manually open it.

something like this had been discussed on this list already, iirc.

> O've started putting local config files in some of my patches for which
> I have versions for 3 different audio setups the patch has to run in -
> I just use loadbang and textfile :)

not a bad idea though not very feasible if you want to enable/disable
e.g "-rt", is it?
out of curiosity: do you have lines like "pd audio-dialog 0 0 0 0 2 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 44100 50 -1;" in this textfile?

mfga.sdr
IOhannes