[PD] embedded preferences...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 10 22:48:48 CEST 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 4:22 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> hi
>
> Miller Puckette wrote:
>> I think this is a good idea, but don't know in detail how to do it.
>> Patches should be able to have a say as to what they "prefer" (beyond
>> what's available via the declare object) but they can't just smash
>> over
>> everything - for instance, they might not know what audio device they
>> should use.
>
> actually my need comes from wanting to automatically open a certain
> patch when starting Pd.
> so - while i think that every configuration i can store in a patch
> is a great plus - this doesn't necessarily solve my problems.
>
> i think a good idea would be to automatically look for a special
> patch (e.g. bin/autostart.pd) and always open it.
>
> i would even go as far as use this patch to store all the
> preferences (and get rid of the system-specific preference system).
>
> for the sake of clarity, this patch should then be opened invisibly.
> if somebody wanted to edit it, they can always manually open it.
>
> something like this had been discussed on this list already, iirc.

Yes, I fully agree with this.  For whatever reason, I use the word
"startup" perhaps "autostart" is a better word.  Here's how I think it
should work:

- pd should load everything it a folder called "autostart"
- Pd should load any file in the path called "autostart.*"

So Pd would then load autostart.pd_linux, autostart.tcl,
autostart .pd, autostart.pd_lua, etc.  I made a working sketch of this
idea in pd-devel, it loads Tcl code to modify the GUI.  Check out the
'startup' folder.

.hc