[PD] pd and recent jackd

joel silvestre j.silvestre at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 11 16:26:27 CEST 2009

> currently I'm using jackd version 0.116.1, before that I was using
> 0.109.2-3ubuntu1 (current intrepid version?), which already had this
> "issue".
>
> I also noticed that different timeout settings made noticeable changes
> to this issue but it didn't solve the problem entirely,  (btw. I already
> was using 9000ms, and this watchdog is not jack-related but built into
> pd / gui as far as i know.)
>
> when trying different things concerning realtime permissions I also
> noticed that priorities for "audio" group in /etc/security/limits to
> something below 10 (don't know exactly anymore) also had an influence
> (because pd had no more rt permissions then).
>
> now everything's fine when jack is started with sufficient priority, no
> matter which other settings I use with jack (except dropouts with too
> low latency or doing graphics stuff with gem in the same instance of pd).
>
> Martin

Strange but I have no dropouts when running those patchs on my laptop
with both alsa and firewire jack backends.
So I give a try on 2 others hardware and no matter what I do dropouts
are always here ...

I think your case was different since I have no crash like " zombified -
calling shutdown handler " but "only" watchdog: signaling pd... and
dropouts.
And troubles arises only when the -rt patch is started with -nogui.

Very simple patch like just [osc~] and [dac~] doesnt' trigger the
watchdog.

Joël