[PD] canvas label

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Apr 21 16:54:40 CEST 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:14 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Laurent WILLKOMM wrote:
>> Hi pd-list,
>> if I give a canvas a label including a #, it shows a $ instead
>> (Debian, WinXP, OSX). Is this a bug or intended behavior ?
>
> it's the way it is currently implemented: guiobjects internally use
> # to represent $ (to bypass Pd's (and probably tcl's) expansion
> mechanism).
> therefore all # are replaced by $.
>
> you could consider this as a bug (though i think it's unlikely to
> get "fixed" anytime...soon).

I am curious, what are the barriers to fixing it?   If someone came up
with a better way to represent $, then I don't really see a problem
with fixing that.  There won't be backwards compatibility issues since
the $ is saved in the patch instead of the #.  Do you really think
that anyone has written some crazy kludge that relies on # being
converted into $ on the canvas label?