[PD] [shell] duplicating PD process

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Apr 21 21:21:29 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I don't know if anyone is still using [shell] I had it in my
installation patch just to start a second PD process.

Anyhow I've been trying to debug a memory problem and during that
process found that there were three (not the expected two) PD processes.
Two of which were fighting for RAM.

ps made it clear. Before I start the second PD process ps shows:

6484 pd -open root.pd

When I used shell to start the process "pd -open dump2SOM.pd -nogui" I
then get:

6484 pd -open root.pd
6486 pd -open root.pd
6487 pd -open dump2SOM.pd -nogui

Both the "root" pds seem to be real processes, both use memory and
interfere with one and other.

I ended up starting both PDs from a bash script to solve the issue.

I just wanted to write to the list, if you see weird duplicate PDs
floating on your machine check your use of shell!

This happened on a debian lenny machine with shell from svn and pd 0.40.3.

.b.