[PD] GEM pix_image+ram

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 27 12:27:13 CEST 2009

stefan wrote:
> hello!
>
> I'm working on a patch where I have to load multiple image to create an
> animation
> (I don't want to make a .mov file cause it's kind of real-time editing)
>
> I tried with pix_image, pix_film, pix_buffer...
>
> and with all of these objects (same if frames are looped or not) the
> used-memory increase until it crash pd...
> some people already had the same problem before:
>
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2004-10/023361.html
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-03/069086.html
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-09/042312.html
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to fix this without having to restart pd?
> a way to unload the image which stays in memory?

first of all, this bug in Gem has been fixed in recent SVN (after your
initial bug-report)
the obvious solution is to run the hottest Gem (no release out, though;
so you have to compile it yerself)

and since it is (was) a bug in the implementation of Gem, there is no
way you can "fix" it in Pd. the only workaround is to restart Pd (which
will free all stray memory). "unloading" does not work, because the
memory had been lost.

> "and the patch : put this to / and put a folder called "frames" beside it."

do not do that.

fgmadr
IOhannes