[PD] readanysf~ v0.30

august august at alien.mur.at
Wed Apr 29 22:54:47 CEST 2009

> hi
>
> well ..that sounds brilliant -
> but why is it dependent on some 'gavl' ??
>
> not something more common, like libaudiofile, for example??

libaudiofile is not much different from the more common libsndfile.
Both only read "uncompressed" formats.

gavl is a really brilliant low-level library which handles the details
of audio and video formats like colorspaces, samplerates, multichannel
configurations etc.

gmerlin_avdecode uses gavl to deliver frames of audio and video
(including conversions and resampling).  It can decode all kinds of
media files....mp3, ogg, flac, mp4, x264..etc.   Pretty much everything
that can be played with mplayer.

Together, they are as close to a full-fledged multi-media api that I
have seen yet on linux.  gstreamer comes close, but has a really large
and complex design.

I think you will see gavl/gmerlin become more standard in the future.
Lumiera, the new video editing software from the cinelerra-cv folks, is
based on it.

It IS unfortunate that they aren't yet apt-get'able, but I think that
should happen soon.

> is it buffered?

it is buffered and threaded.  you can set the bugger size as specified
in the readanysf-help.pd  file.

-a.