[PD] readanysf~ v0.30

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 30 21:35:52 CEST 2009

Quoting august <august at alien.mur.at>:

>> I don't know gavl, but it if it is close to as good as vlc/mplayer/
>> ffmpeg for reading codecs, it would be an improvement over Quicktime.

you mean "QuickTime" or "libquicktime" (4linux)?

as a matter of fact, the author of gavl/gmerlin is also the author of
libquicktime (after the fork from heroinewarrior)

> it is very close to vlc/mplayer/ffmpeg.  in fact, it might even read
> more formats depending on what options you compile in.
>
>> gavl is already in macports so making a fink package should be easy,
>> then it could be part of the nightly builds.
>>
>> What about using ffmpeg for something like readanysf~?  Its much more
>> widely deployed, its even on Windows.

gavl/gmerlin is designed as a stable API that uses a number of
available backends.
writing code for ffmpeg is a nightmare. the API changes every week.
writing code for gavl/gmerlin is simple. the ffmpeg-nightmare is
delegated to a single-point: gavl.

>> Another option is to check in a version of gavl and the related
>> packages to the pure-data SVN and have it build the library then build
>> readanysf~.  Since gavl/gmerlin is not fully packaged on any platform,
>> I think this makes sense.
>
> yes, and AFAIK the gavl package in debian is already over a year old and
> is not compatible with readanysf~.

i hope that gavl/gmerlin will be included in (more) distros soon

fgsdmr
IOhannes