[PD] readanysf~ v0.30

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri May 1 00:45:05 CEST 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 3:35 PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Quoting august <august at alien.mur.at>:
>

>>> I don't know gavl, but it if it is close to as good as vlc/mplayer/
>>> ffmpeg for reading codecs, it would be an improvement over
>>> Quicktime.
>
> you mean "QuickTime" or "libquicktime" (4linux)?
>
> as a matter of fact, the author of gavl/gmerlin is also the author
> of libquicktime (after the fork from heroinewarrior)

I mean Apple Quicktime.  VLC and mplayer are already much better for
playing movies than Quicktime on Mac OS X so it would be nice if Gem
on Mac OS X took advantage of that.

>> it is very close to vlc/mplayer/ffmpeg.  in fact, it might even read
>> more formats depending on what options you compile in.
>>
>>> gavl is already in macports so making a fink package should be easy,
>>> then it could be part of the nightly builds.
>>>
>>> What about using ffmpeg for something like readanysf~?  Its much
>>> more
>>> widely deployed, its even on Windows.
>

> gavl/gmerlin is designed as a stable API that uses a number of
> available backends.
> writing code for ffmpeg is a nightmare. the API changes every week.
> writing code for gavl/gmerlin is simple. the ffmpeg-nightmare is
> delegated to a single-point: gavl.

Ah ok, alles klar, makes sense.

>>> Another option is to check in a version of gavl and the related
>>> packages to the pure-data SVN and have it build the library then
>>> build
>>> readanysf~.  Since gavl/gmerlin is not fully packaged on any
>>> platform,
>>> I think this makes sense.
>>
>> yes, and AFAIK the gavl package in debian is already over a year
>> old and
>> is not compatible with readanysf~.
>

> i hope that gavl/gmerlin will be included in (more) distros soon

In the meantime, I think it would be worth it to have gavl/gmerlin
build out of the pure-data SVN.  Then we can remove it once its widely
packaged.

.hc

> fgsdmr
> IOhannes

> <mime-attachment>

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup