[PD] pix_video appears to crash PD when running on Leopard

james murray james.n.murray at gmail.com
Fri May 1 16:41:53 CEST 2009

Hi,

I had originally posted this within the PD/GEM forums but haven't gotten any
traction/responses to my question and thought perhaps the list might have a
more lively response.

I recently had a G5 tower upgraded to Leopard while being serviced by Apple
(I wasn't asked if this was wanted and it wasn't because of concerns I had
about PD running smoothly on Leopard) and cannot downgrade the OS due to
lost install discs.

I upgraded my PD Extended vers. to 0.40.3 as had been recommended in the
Forums and although I can get PD to open and access libraries properly I've
run into a problem with getting certain works made on Tiger to function
properly with the pix_video object.  I'm running the piece using a
BlackMagic Intensity Pro video card it should be noted.  When the patch in
question is opened it crashes after five or six seconds... Deleting the
pix_video object appears to stop the crashing, but obviously it needs to be
there in order for the piece to work.

Has anyone else been running into video capture issues with Leopard/PD
Extended 0.40.3 and BlackMagic (or any other variation of them)?  Is there a
work-around object/alternate object that I could try using to avoid this and
actually have a stable piece to run?

Any help/insight would be huge.  Thanks in advance.

   1. J