[PD] networking

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat May 2 14:34:13 CEST 2009

Jose Luis Santorcuato wrote:
> Dear friends, thanks a lot for the help, my question for today is the
> networking with pd, basically work on internet, i know the two objetcts send
> and receive (net) but i cant configure a funcionality patch...
>
> Please give me a hand...

your question is really very generic and hard to answer as such (at
least for me)

let's recapitulate what you probably already know:
[netsend]/[netreceive] can be used to setup a one-way connection via UDP
or TCP/IP (you chose). the 2 connection modes have to speak the
FUDI-protocol (FUDI is what looks like ordinary Pd-messages: a list of
atoms (either floats or symbols) ending with a semicolon)

if you are talking about "internet", make sure that the connection is
actually possible and not blocked by any firewall.
[netsend] always has to connect to a "server" (the patch running
[netreceive].
the server obviously has to have an open port and this port must not be
blocked by any firewall inbetween.
the server has to be reachable via IP-address (or DNS); if the server is
in a "private" network that is NATted to the real internet, the firewall
has to somehow forward packages to to this server.

if you want a full-duplex connection (bi-directional) you have to open 2
connections (each using a pair of [netsend]/[netreceive])

if you want Pd talk to another application (e.g. a webbrowser running
java-script) or vice-versa, you have to make sure your other application
talks FUDI as well. (if it does not it might be a good idea to use OSC
rather than netsend/netreceive; but using OSC in Pd depends on
externals, whereas netsend/netreceive are built-in)

i hope this helps

fgm,asdr
IOhannes