[PD] using namespace prefixes in a vanilla setup

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue May 5 14:28:34 CEST 2009

Hallo,

> So here's the solution i came up with, you make a 'lib' folder in your
> project, stick the libraries as folders in 'lib', then use [declare -path
> lib].

This is actually the way, we are "installing" the rj and other libraries in
RjDj scenes since the start of the project. (though rj-files aren't used with
namespace prefixes generally)

As every RjDj scene always has a single topmost parent patch called _main.pd,
this is where you put a [declare -path rj] object (plus a [declare -path .]) to
let it find the "rj" subdirectory patches. (Here the declare "bug" of not
working in child abstractions does not apply because _main.pd always is
the toplevel patch)

If a scene wants to use e.g. list-abs, it can drop that directory into the
scene directory, too, and use an appropriate declare again. Works perfectly,
including help files.

But if libraries have complicated interdependencies or assume certain global
path layouts, then this approach fails, which was the case with the old mapping
files, at least partly.

Ciao
--
Frank