[PD] no netpd objects

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu May 7 23:22:36 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 21:05 +0200, Christian Fischer wrote:
> hi everybody,
>
> i am quite new to this list and pd.
> so there is a problem with the netpd  objects.
>
> i have an mac os10.4.11 and pd 0.40.3 extended.
>
> unfortunately pd cannot create any pdnet-object. but the chat and the
> creator seem to work properly.
>
> is there someting missing? i thought everything is included in pd
> extended for netpd to work...

that is indeed true. pd-extended ships with all externals used by netpd
and (even more) netpd-patches. the netpd-abstractions you mentioned are
part of netpd itself and not part of pd-extended.

the documentation is a bit out of date and it wasn't high on my priority
list, but since obviously people are having a look at it, i'll try to
correct all the inconsistencies and mistakes.

in order to not force the user anymore to use a certain preferences
setup (which was usually quite troublesome), netpd nowadays - since the
introduction of [declare] - loads its dependencies itself. those
dependencies are stored in a [declare] in _chat.pd . _creator.pd is
loaded as an abstractions within _chat.pd and all netpd-patches are
loaded as abstractions in _creator.pd. that is why netpd-patches are
still in the scope of _chat.pd's [declare] and thus load the netpd
abstractions successfully.
any patch loaded _outside_ of _chat.pd (for instance, loaded through
file->open) won't find the netpd-abstractions, unless it has its own
[declare -path includes].

this is probably a bit a tough explanation of the problem for a
newcomer.  the really important thing for now: it's not your fault.
however, as a workaround: everything that is loaded by creator will find
the netpd abstractions. and: i need to fix this sooner or later.

thanks for the feedback

roman