[PD] no netpd objects

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu May 7 23:50:55 CEST 2009

yo, i think, it is useful to keep that on the list.

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 20:48 +0200, Christian Fischer wrote:
> yo super!
> ich habe schon mit einem einfachen patch und numberboxes
> experimentiert. das mit den levels ist auch klar.
> ich habe zwei macs mit einem lan kabel verbunden. ohne
> internetzugang. ging auch super! aber wie???

netpd clients are not connected directly to each other, but to a so
called netpd-server. yet the server is simply another pd patch running
on a machine visible from the world wide web. the server acts as a relay
and forwards messages from client to client.

if you don't have an internet connection, you can still run a
netpd-session, but then you need to run your own local server. and of
course, you need to tell the clients the ip address or the hostname of
your server. you can set that in the preferences in _chat.pd. the
default is 'netpd.org'.

> was mich außerdem interessiert  ist, wie sich wer dort wo einklinken
> kann.

to the server on netpd.org, everyone with internet access can connect.
to your locally running server, only clients from within the same local
network are able to connect (unless you teach your router some funky
portforwarding stuff).

> damit man die preferences ändert kann, muss ich das textfile ändern,
> wenn ich es richtig verstehe?!

in order to change the preferences, you hit the 'pref' button in
_chat.pd. everything you change there, will be written to
the ./netpd-settings.txt. of course, you can alternatively tweak that
file manually with your favorite texteditor.

roman