[PD] preventing comport freezes

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri May 8 17:16:04 CEST 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 10:33 AM, danomatika wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 01:42 +0200, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
>>
>> So right now, when [comport] is open and that device gets
>> disconnected, comport freezes and Pd crashes.  My guess is that
>> comport is waiting and therefore blocking.  It seems like the
>> select()
>> call should prevent that, any other guesses on how to prevent comport
>> from locking like this?  Many arduino users would be very happy.
>>
>> .hc
> Here's a short serial class for Linux (and Mac I'm sure) that uses
> select() ...
>
> I figured that part out by reading http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/serial.html
>
> It's a bit messy, I have a better one at work I can send in a day or
> two.

Mind if we keep this on list?

Have you had a chance to check the performance of that?  Martin added
select() to his networking code, and things got much slower.

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said, hobbling
away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out another pink-
collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf