[PD] preventing comport freezes

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri May 8 22:11:37 CEST 2009

thanks for the info.

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 19:27 +0000, martin.peach at sympatico.ca wrote:
> > just out of curiosity: if there is a solution, that works well for
> > [tcpserver], couldn't it be applied also to [comport]?
> >
> Maybe. But I think you should be able to use [comport] with no
> hardware handshaking enabled and send data even if no cable is
> attached. Sometimes the absence of one of the two input handshake
> signals prevents the serial hardware from sending. Also if an error
> occurred in the reception of serial data it may not be handled
> properly in [comport]. So I'm not sure what is causing this particular
> crash, since HC said that it happened when the remote device was
> disconnected but gave no further detail.

iirc, on linux at least, [comport] makes pd hang, _whenever_ the other
end disappears. i.e.:

- pulling out the usb-cable, while the arduino is connected
- turning off an rfcomm device

i should test again, if pd hangs immediately, or if only hangs sending
another message/a certain amount of bytes to [comport].

roman