[PD] pix_record issues with geos and frames per second

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun May 10 16:16:15 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 08:56 -0500, John Harrison wrote:
> In terms of recording the Geos here's a sample patch of how I might do
> that. Idea, method, and code stolen liberally from Marius Schebella's
> posts to this list.
>
> In terms of framerate, I am not sure but I would have guessed that you
> could either send [auto 0( to [pix_record] then bang [pix_record] at the
> framerate you wish or change [gemwin] to be the framerate you wish and
> send [auto 1( to [pix_record] . If framerate doesn't seem to be matching
> what you expect, I wonder if [pix_record] is having trouble keeping up
> due to CPU load. You might try an uncompressed format for your codec.

i am not totally sure, if this still applies, but iirc, [pix_record] has
a hardcoded framerate of 20fps. note, that this is not related at all to
the actual rate, at which it is recording, but [pix_record] ignores the
framerate of [gemwin] and just always writes '20fps' to the header of
the generated mov file, although it is actually recording at the rate
given by [gemwin].

there are two workarouds i can think of: set your [gemwin] to a rate of
20fps as well, so that the recording framerate and the framerate written
into the header are matching. the other idea is to alter framerate field
of the resulting mov file. probably this could be done with a hexeditor.
i don't know how easy this is with mov files. probably there is even a
dedicated editor for such stuff?

roman