[PD] packOSC "BLOB"

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun May 10 22:05:43 CEST 2009

Wolfgang Jäger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For sending audio efficiently over OSC I would need an OSC-"BLOB".
> Unfortunately the packOSC object supports no OSC-"BLOB"s.
> Is there any possibility to send BLOBs?
> ciao

I can probably add a Blob type to [packOSC] and [unpackOSC]. The thing
is that the blob type is supposed to consist of arbitrary bytes
(8-bits), but Pd audio works with 32-bit floats. There is nothing
[unpackOSC] can do with a received blob except output the list of bytes,
so some other object would be needed to pack groups of 4 bytes into
floats again.
It may end up being just as efficient to send a bunch of floats for each
signal vector.

Martin