[PD] packOSC "BLOB"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 11 09:26:58 CEST 2009

Martin Peach wrote:
> Wolfgang Jäger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For sending audio efficiently over OSC I would need an OSC-"BLOB".
>> Unfortunately the packOSC object supports no OSC-"BLOB"s.
>> Is there any possibility to send BLOBs?

since blob is an arbitrary type, you have to interpret/generate this
list of bytes somehow in your patch.
if you are working that low-level, i guess you can also de/construct
OSC-packages on your own.

>> ciao
>>

> I can probably add a Blob type to [packOSC] and [unpackOSC]. The thing
> is that the blob type is supposed to consist of arbitrary bytes
> (8-bits), but Pd audio works with 32-bit floats. There is nothing
> [unpackOSC] can do with a received blob except output the list of bytes,
> so some other object would be needed to pack groups of 4 bytes into
> floats again.
> It may end up being just as efficient to send a bunch of floats for each
> signal vector.

iirc, for the very project the decoding is done outside of Pd anyhow (on
specialized hardware), so the problem of [unpackOSC] not knowing what to
do with a blob is a minor issue here. (and the use of specialized
hardware is the reason why data (low-resolution fixed-point numbers)
should actually be packed in a blob rather than floating-point).

i still think (see above) that even [packOSC] cannot provide a
consistent interface to pack blobs into an osc message that is
sufficiently more simple to use than manually constructing OSC messages.

vfgmar
IOhannes