[PD] packOSC "BLOB"

danomatika danomatika at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:56:22 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 16:00 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Daniel Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > Sorry if this is a dumb question ... but why would you want to do this in
> > PD, why not use a hardware solution as it would be much faster?   Something
> > like Cobranet, ie digital audio over Cat5:
> >
> > http://www.audioscience.com/internet/products/sound_cards/asi54xx.htm
>
> hmm, why would anyone use Pd for making music when you can have real
> instruments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EXzfpS6WK4

Hah.  Mabey because we just love wasting our time with computers?

> seriously, for several dozens of channels, most cobranet devices are
> ridiculously expensive.

Mabey he has a budget?  If so then perhaps paying for a drop in solution
is not such a bad idea ... I'm all for doing it myself, but not when the
time and effort aren't worth it in the end.  My friend is using Cobranet
for one of our projects where the Pd computer is almost a kilometer away
(by cable length) ...

I also did another project where a bunch of serial devices needed to be
connected to server about 20m away.  Initially I was thinking about
using some sort of industrial-style ethernet client-server setup using
multiple computers, etc but in the end I just used a few USB 2.0 over
Cat5 boxes.  Much easier to access the devices "directly".

Just a small thought.

---
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com