[PD] ps3eye on linux / OSX?

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Tue May 12 14:30:36 CEST 2009

Jaime Oliver schrieb:
> So this is the linux driver. if it's not v4l yet could it be grabbed by gem?

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Jaime Oliver <jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have found this great camera:
>> http://shop1.frys.com/product/5421229?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
>>
>> and multiple threads on drivers at http://nuigroup.com and in the
>> openframeworks forum.
>>
>> the cam can do 120fps at 320x240 for 30$ in amazon...
>>
>> I also found an old thread about using pix_freeframe on pd/gem in
>> windows: http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-11/066401.html
>> Has anyone successfully captured this camera in gem on linux or osx?

tried it on ubuntu 9.04, it works fine with "cheese" and some other
applications, but I had no luck with gem. (didn't try pdp yet). there's
a picture when using the cam with gem but it's unusably distorted (looks
like a rainbow coloured "grid" on top of the picture). also some crashes
occured while changing its settings in gem. i had not much time for
further testing, so maybe it's possible to make it work. i had similar
errors with an other cam in mplayer before, where v4l fps setting fixed it.

I was using drivers from http://kaswy.free.fr/?q=node/42  - maybe the
original drivers are different with gem...?

there's hardly visible noise and very nice contrast, but edges seemed to
be over-sharpened - perhaps that's adjustable somewhere. nice cam for
this price, but i wouldn't rely on it until know.

btw. the built in 4-channel audio inteface works fine using oss + pd.

;artin