[PD] Abstraction load time

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 21:27:25 CEST 2009

--- On Tue, 5/12/09, Claude Heiland-Allen <claudiusmaximus at goto10.org> wrote:

> From: Claude Heiland-Allen <claudiusmaximus at goto10.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Abstraction load time
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
> Hi,
>
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> >      I've been doing a lot of dynamic patching and
> notice that using abstractions slows down the process
> immensely.
>
> That's because Pd tries to load the abstraction from
> everywhere in its -path (which can be a large number of
> places), then parses the text and uses it to create obects -
> all of this EVERY time it is instanced.
>
> >      Why is it that test-abs.pd is so much slower than
> test-sp.pd (which just creates chains of internal objects in
> a subpatch)?
> >      Is there any way this could be sped up in future
> versions of pd?  I find dynamic patching to be a powerful
> idiom when used with abstractions, but its kind of clunky
> right now because of the lengthy creation time.
>
> A quick and dirty attempt at caching abstractions in
> memory:
>
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2008-10/012334.html

Ah, that answers my question.  Thanks for the explanation and
link.  Does the solution you came up with affect the load time of
abstractions that are created after the patch has already been
loaded?

> Also, I haven't checked the patches you attached, I
> hope you're turning dsp off before doing the dynamic
> patching and turning it on again (if desired) afterwards,
> otherwise the dsp graph is rebuilt after every object
> instead of just once (as far as I understand it).

Oops, I didn't turn dsp off.  Checking it now, it does increase
load time a bit, though not nearly as much as using an abstraction
instead of a chain of internal objects.

Thanks,
Jonathan