[PD] Abstraction load time

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 02:23:20 CEST 2009

--- On Tue, 5/12/09, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:

> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Abstraction load time
> To: jancsika at yahoo.com
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 11:53 PM
> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 14:31 -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> >

> > --- On Tue, 5/12/09, Roman Haefeli
> <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de>
> > > Subject: Re: [PD] Abstraction load time
> > > To: "Jonathan Wilkes"
> <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> > > Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> > > Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 9:39 PM
> > > it behaves like the opposite on my machine. the
> abstraction
> > > based patch
> > > measures 6ms and the one, that generates
> everything from
> > > scratch,
> > > measures ~300ms.
> > >
> > > now, after claude's explanation, i think, i
> know why
> > > this is the case. i
> > > don't have any pathes loaded at all in my
> preferences.
> > > i try to do
> > > everything with [declare]s inside the patches.
> thus pd
> > > hasn't to search
> > > a whole bunch of pathes, but only the ones that
> are really
> > > useful.
> > >
> > > roman
> > >

> > Hi Roman,
> >      Ok, after clearing out all the path and startup
> info under the "file" menu, my load times for the
> abstraction based patch have decreased by an order of
> magnitude.  But now I'm puzzled because my results are
> the reverse of yours: test-abs.pd takes around 250ms and
> test-sp.pd takes 6ms.
> >
> >      Are there any other preferences you alter to
> restrict the paths that are searched?
>
> hm.. probably due to different versions of pd on different
> platforms? i
> am on linux using pd-vanilla 0.42.5.

I'm on winxp with 0.42.5.

> i am not totally sure, but after the second opening of the
> patch, the
> harddisk isn't accessed anymore, so i guess, the
> patches and
> abstractions are in the cache anyway. this makes me think,
> that it is
> not harddrive related.
>
> i also found, that your measuring method was bogus. the
> loadbang inside
> abstraction will be executed _before_ the loadbang of the
> parent patch.
> i changed the patch and the result of test_sp.pd is now
> 1100ms. i
> attached fixed versions of all patches and abstractions.

Oh man, I screwed up big time!  Not only was the measuring
wrong, but I mistakenly set test-sp.pd to create 1000 object
chains instead of 100 -- that's why you're seeing such a large
error-free version of everything.

I'll see if I can try these patches out on another machine to see
if its my hardware, operating system, or both that's causing some
of the slowness I get when loading the abstractions.

Thanks for the help,
Jonathan