[PD] [PD-dev] who wants to port [wacom] for windows (and unix) ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu May 14 07:27:57 CEST 2009

Check the help patch, there are some subpatches on the top
illustrating alternate methods of specifying the device.  vendorid/
productid is quite useful, but I forgot if that is implemtned in GNU/
Linux.  There are other ways too.

.hc

On May 13, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Rich E wrote:

>> Can you think of a way to route this information back to [hid]?
>> The main reason I use [linuxevent] instead of [hid] is because I
>> don't have to click anything in order to initialize the wacom.. it
>> is automatically looking at the correct /dev/*

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> You can use the [print( message and look for the wacom in the Pd
> window.
>
> .hc
>

> On May 12, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Rich E wrote:
>
>> I use [linuxevent /dev/wacom] in linux... plus an abstraction.
>> Works fine and provides everything I need.  [hid] does work, but
>> you have to know exactly what /dev/* file to tell it to look at (it
>> won't take the /dev/wacom symlink).
>>
>> Windows should be the only one that needs the official wacom driver.
>>
>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
>> > wrote:
>>
>> You can just use the linux input API to get the wacom data, [hid]
>> works with wacoms in GNU/Linux, at least last time I tried.
>>
>> .hc
>>

>> On May 11, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
>>
>> Isn't there actually a reverse engineered Wacom driver for Linux?
>> Couldn't this be used instead of having to ask permission from Wacom?
>>
>> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> I too think it would be great to have cross-platform wacom support,
>> but I think it would be even better if there was a "libwacom" C API
>> for all operating systems for which the Pd "wacom" object was a
>> simple
>> wrapper.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM, João Pais
>> <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Pd developers and programmers,
>>
>> we - me and Johannes Kreidler for now - wanted to ask if anyone
>> would be
>> interested in programming a version of Thomas Grill's [wacom] for
>> windows
>> (and unix, if possible). This external is used to take data from
>> wacom
>> tablets - so in case anyone else is interested in this please say
>> something.
>>
>> The features/work would include:
>>
>> - be compatible with general wacom architecture - and specially
>> with the
>> Intuos3 (which is the tablet we own)
>> - take all parameters from the tablet connected
>>  - not forgetting tilt+inclination, touch strips and keys (these
>> aren't
>> covered by [wintablet])
>> - put the compiled binaries in a svn folder packaged with Pd
>> Extended (see
>> below)
>> - be willing to do some maintenance now and then, specially until
>> things
>> get stable (after that, I guess the work would be kind of finished)
>>
>> According to T Grill, the developer(s) that work on this must
>> register
> [...]

"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.