[PD] [GEM] ps3eye camera on linux / OSX?

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Thu May 14 10:57:27 CEST 2009

Martin Schied schrieb:
> Jaime Oliver schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have changed the subject to [GEM] if perhaps people have missed
>> it... it would be great if anyone else is interested in this because
>> to have a 120fps camera for less than 40$ working in GEM would be
>> amazing...
>>
>> When was the las time you tried this driver?
>>
>> I'm getting one of these cameras at some point this week to try it
>> out. It seems that with that driver you can get a video0 device, but
>> you can only change settings when you load the driver and therefore
>> not through pix_video...
>>
>> I'll let you know if I have any success.
>>

> yeah, that would be really great and also was one of my thoughts when
> buying that cam. i already tried several resolutions + fps at module
> load time, wich works for other applications than GEM. that was
> approximately one week ago. but i'm not sure if it was the latest
> driver available though. I made a flickr account, so I'll be able to
> upload some pictures of the errors later.

ok. this is what I get into GEM (pd extended, nightly one or two weeks
ago, sorry for not being that precise...), ubuntu 9.04

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38404107@N08/sets/72157618127535288/
one "clear" picture from cheese for comparison.

As I'm still on ubuntu 8.04 for work i tried to compile "MT gspca
modified driver V0.5" for it, but this kernel seems to old for these
modules.

so this is all from ubuntu jaunty 9.04:

modinfo:

filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_ov534.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Antonio Ospite <ospite at studenti.unina.it>
srcversion:     2669EC48DECC8E6AB8C781B
alias:          usb:v1415p2000d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends:        gspca_main
vermagic:       2.6.28-11-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586
parm:           videomode: = xx //Set the videomode(see doc) (int)
parm:           autogain: = [0|1] //Autogain (agc,aec,awb) (bool)
parm:           gain: = [0..63] //main gain (int)
parm:           exposure: = [0..255] //Exposure (int)
parm:           redblc: = [0..255] //Red Balance (int)
parm:           blueblc: = [0..255] //Blue Balance (int)
parm:           sharpness: = [0..63] //Sharpness (int)
parm:           vflip: = [0|1] //Vertical flip (bool)
parm:           hflip: = [0|1] //Horizontal mirror (bool

when i start rendering i get these messages repeatedly (every frame?) in
console output:

VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE1: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE2: Invalid argument

when changing dimen in pix_video:
error: x dimensions too great
error: y dimensions too great

see flickr images for differences when using RGB, grey, YUV

camera has been set to 640x480 before. I also tried different videomode
settings at module load time, without difference for these errors.

cheers
Martin