[PD] Fonts in Pd compiled against tcl/tk 8.5 WAS: Pd-extended 0.41.4 release candidate 1

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 18 06:58:59 CEST 2009

Federico figured out something for pd-devel 0.41.4 to actually measure
the font size and use that, its in the fit_font_into_metrics proc:

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/branches/pd-devel/0.41.4/src/pd.tk?revision=10896&view=markup

Basically, I think it would be really easy to test for Tcl 8.5 in
u_main.tk then use one of these solutions to adjust the font size to
be correct.

.hc

On May 17, 2009, at 12:54 AM, Matt Barber wrote:

> Hector Centeno said:
>
>> OK, I got the font size fixed! If I change the foreach (at line 3944)
>> in pd.tk from:
>>
>>   foreach i {8 9 10 12 14 16 18 24 30 36} {
>>
>> to:
>>
>>   foreach i {4 6 8 9 10 12 14 16 18 24} {
>>
>> The text stays withing the object boxes. Exactly what is happening
>> here I don't know. I have to analyze further to find out what's going
>> on.
>>

> Hello,
>
> Hector's fix (or something similar) works for me as well for text
> boxes -- although the pixel-perfect mapping for me on Fedora 10 seems
> to be at about .75:
>
> 8   ->  6
> 10 ->  8
> 12 ->  9
> 16 -> 12
> 24 -> 18
> 36 -> 28
>

> So the question is -- it's easy enough to edit u_main.tk to check if
> it is using 8.5 and then use the new mapping if so, but is it better
> to implement the mapping in s_main.c, where the t_fontinfo struct
> already provides fi_hostfontsize?
>
> In this case it would be easy to make both files check for 8.5 and
> handle things that way.
> I can post diffs for either solution.
>
> All the gui object fonts are too large as well.  I wonder if these
> problems are popping up on other tcl/tk apps on these distros -- it
> would be more satisfying to get to the bottom of the underlying
> problem than to hack the font mapping.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Matt

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic