[PD] who wants to port [wacom] for windows?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed May 20 18:45:08 CEST 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 12:36 PM, patrick wrote:

>> [hid] works with wacoms in Linux, it is just that Debian and Ubuntu
>> have been working on tightening up the security with each new
>> release, so you have to go thru extra tricks to get data via HID
>> for something other than the X server.  I don't know the latest
>> tricks, anyone?
> exactly! i have a Wacom Graphire 2 (USB) and everything is working
> with Ubuntu Jaunty (HAL, .fdi) for example in Gimp pressure is
> working. BUT [hid] doesn't output. i can see the device (/dev/input/
> event6 for example) and the features.
>
> i am root so i should be able to poll the tablet, but i guess X11 is
> taking the control... anyone?
>
> pat

IIRC, I think X or whatever process is opening the devices as
exclusive.  Perhaps if you change your X config so that X doesn't use
the wacom, then you'll get events.  Do you get events from cat'ing the
device?  I.e:

cat /dev/input/event5

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith