[PD] more Pd/shell communication

Florian Hollerweger flo at mur.at
Wed May 20 19:45:36 CEST 2009

Hi list,

I am a happy user of Chris McCormick's recent suggestion for Pd/shell
communication using [netsend], [netreceive] and a shell script piping
commands from/to pdreceive/pdsend in a while loop (based on a solution
by Claude):

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-02/067864.html

However, this ceases to work when the Pd patch is restarted, since the
ports remain occupied. While one can close the link from Pd to the
script before restarting the patch using the [disconnect< message to
[netsend], there seems to be no clean way of closing the connection from
the script to Pd.

I am guessing that one would need to modify Chris' script in a way that
it is possible to send a 'disconnect' event from Pd to the script, which
causes it to close the pipe to Pd, right?

Not being the world's greatest shell scripter, I would appreciate any
hints on how this could be accomplished.

best,
flo.H