[PD] MinGW/Windows work session - tomorrow, Tuesday 5/18

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Thu May 21 21:38:50 CEST 2009

moin all,

On 2009-05-21 18:10:35, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> appears
to have written:

> On May 21, 2009, at 11:53 AM, august wrote:
>

>>> So of your list there, we still have to handle glib and pkg-config.  As
>>> for binaries, there currently isn't really a way to manage them.  Right
>>> now, the setup uses binaries from the MinGW and MSYS installers, then
>>> everything else is checked into SVN 'sources' and built from source.  In
>>> order to make this setup reproduceable, it needs to be simple.
>>>
>>> I think August got pkg-config going, was that a binary?
>>

>> yeah, the only way to go is with binaries due to a circular dependency
>> with glib and pkg-config.

after a brief look at glib's configure.ac, it looks to me like the glib
-> pkg-config "dependency" isn't really one, and could be fixed by some
judicious use of 'dnl' (m4 comment-ization) in glib/configure.ac.

> Which binary did you use?  Is there an 'official' MinGW one?

I second the question: august?

for my own part, I didn't find a pkg-config binary from either mingw or
gnuwin, so i used the binaries referenced on gtk.org:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/dependencies/pkg-config-0.23-2.zip

which worked to build glib, but after 'svn up'-ing pure-data/sources, a
whole bunch of libs have been complaining, and I'm getting pkg-config
crashes during build-libs-on-mingw.sh (i can attach a log, but it's huge
and i haven't really identified the problem yet).  so i think a better
way to go would be:

 + comment out the AC_PROG(pkg-config) in glib/configure.ac (or
configure.in, I forget which convention glib uses)

 + tweak the libpcre clauses so that they don't call pkg-config (afaict,
the GRegex/PCRE stuff is the only place glib actually calls pkg-config),

 + re-generate the glib autotools stuff (e.g. autoreconf)

 + use the --with-local-pcre or whatever option to glib ./configure and
it ought to build

... no time for this atm, especially since these other libs are giving
me grief and annoying segfault popups ... grr

Strangely, http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/wiki/ (the official
pkg-config home) reports:

  "A copy of glib 1.2.8 is shipped together with pkg-config and this is
sufficient for pkg-config to compile and work properly"

huh...

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology