[PD] crash in readanysf~ 0.33

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat May 23 18:51:15 CEST 2009

On May 23, 2009, at 4:51 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> From my experience, the easiest path to supporting readanysf~ on
>> all of
>> the Pd-extended platforms would be to import the avdec code into the
>> pure-data SVN and then set it up to build there.  That is, unless
>> IOhannes wants to deploy Gem using gmerlin_avdec sooner rather than
>> later.  That might change things somewhat.  But then it might be
>> easier
>> to use the old "GemLibs" style of including an external lib.
>
> hmm, i cannot entirely follow here.
>
> my point has always been quite clear, that i do not especially like
> the
> idea putting every single line of source we can get our hands on and
> which some piece of software eventually included by Pd-extended
> depends
> on into the repository.

> i'd purge GemLibs alltogether rather sooner than later (afaik it is
> currently entirely dysfunctional; but you never know and that is the
> main reason why it is still there...) and instead revive the idea of
> providing GemLib-packages with pre-compiled binaries of the
> dependencies.

I am suggesting managing the avdec source code in our SVN, not
binaries.  That's what I thought GemLibs was for.  I agree managing
binaries in SVN is not a very good idea as a general practice. That
said, I feel I must reiterate: SVN is a very useful tool for managing
source code, and that's what we are talking about.  Package management
is also, but there isn't package management for Windows and avdec
isn't in Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora.  The SVN developers think that
importing other source code into your own SVN is useful enough to
devote a whole chapter to it, as well as specialized tools:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s05.html

CVS also has similar documentation:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/cvs/cvs_13.html

For the build farm, I am currently managing 3 Debian boxes, 2 Ubuntu
boxes, a Fedora box, 3 Mac OS X boxes, and a Windows box.  I maintain
Pd packages for Debian/Ubuntu, Mac OS X and Windows.  I am a
contributor to the Fink distribution.  I have also built custom WRT
firmwares using the EWRT, which has lots of imported source code.
Bottom line, I have seen, worked with, and used many different
techniques for managing code.  IMHO based on this experience, I think
that it will be the least work to import avdec into our SVN and use it
from there until it is in the package management of the supported
platforms.

Can we put this issue of importing source code to rest?  This is
standard, very common, and indeed a very labor saving practice.

> finally, i was wondering what i have to do in order to use
> gmerlin_avdec
> in Gem (which has not been yet done; i suppose you did not break the
> entire code-base on your way to porting it to osx/w32 ;-))

Its installed on the Mac OS X build farm machines already.  We are
working on getting into the Windows build machine.

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic