[PD] PD sound quality question

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sun May 24 14:37:57 CEST 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 00:07:45 -0400
Hector Centeno <hcengar at gmail.com> wrote:

> So my questions are: is this aliasing a
> particular problem of my system or is this an expected result?

It's an expected result. It isn't 'aliasing', but an effect called
quantisation, which you will hear even in perfectly sampled data.

> Is
> there anyway of avoiding it? I could post the patch here if needed.

[tabread4~] already goes some way towards avoiding it, by
interpolating (going in-between the sample values) to make the
playback smoother. Since you seem interested in the low frequencies
found when slowing sounds down it might help to add a low pass
filter that smoothes the signal even more.

Andy

> Cheers,
>
> Hector

Use the source