[PD] crash in readanysf~ 0.33

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun May 24 23:26:08 CEST 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 3:54 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> my point has always been quite clear, that i do not especially
>>> like the
>>> idea putting every single line of source we can get our hands on and
>>> which some piece of software eventually included by Pd-extended
>>> depends
>>> on into the repository.
>>> i'd purge GemLibs alltogether rather sooner than later (afaik it is
>>> currently entirely dysfunctional; but you never know and that is the
>>> main reason why it is still there...) and instead revive the idea of
>>> providing GemLib-packages with pre-compiled binaries of the
>>> dependencies.
>> I am suggesting managing the avdec source code in our SVN, not
>> binaries.  That's what I thought GemLibs was for.
>
> yes, that what GemLib is/was for and and i still want to get rid of
> the pd-gem svn part of GemLib.
>

>> I agree managing binaries in SVN is not a very good idea as a
>> general practice.
>
> yes, i guess we are totally in accordance here.
>
>> That said, I feel I must reiterate: SVN is a very useful tool for
>> managing source code, and that's what we are talking about.
>
> indeed.
>
>> I am
> [...]
>> I have
> [...]
>> Bottom line, I have
> [...]
>
> i have (and had) no intention to question your qualifications.
> sorry if i sound a bit mr.know-it-all.
>

>> I think that it will be the least work to import avdec into our SVN
>> and use it from there until it is in the package management of the
>> supported platforms.
>> Can we put this issue of importing source code to rest?  This is
>> standard, very common, and indeed a very labor saving practice.
>
> please hold on.
> i thought you was asking people (including me) for their opinion.
> if you don't care about aberrant opinions, then please don't ask.
>
> i was always joking about "putting the linux-kernel into the /
> sources section, since the entire linux-part of Pd-extended
> certainly depends on the kernel".
> this punchline of this joke was of course, that the linux-kernel is
> rather big compared to the entire Pd-extended source-base, and that
> this  practice tends to include the entire world, which i think is a
> waste of ressources (probably a european green attitude).
> i am shocked, that the punchline no longer holds: the current /
> source folder holds about 322 Megabyte (without any revisions or
> such) of sources which have absolutely nothing to do with Pd (in a
> sense that probably none of the main developers of any of the
> included packages have ever heard of Pure data)
>
> the linux sources for 2.6.26 (with all debian patches applied) is
> about 317MB...
>
>>> finally, i was wondering what i have to do in order to use
>>> gmerlin_avdec
> [...]

Jokes are all fine and good, I guess I was being too earnest.  I was
trying to have a productive conversation.  So we both just spent a
fair amount of time on this discussion and as far as I can tell, we
are not any closer a solution for managing gmerlin-avdec.

So, anyone have any specific objections about how importing gmerlin-
avdec code into the pure-data SVN might cause harm?  Or any better
solutions for managing gmerlin-avdec?

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra