[PD] bug in gemlist object?

Doug Taylor miggiemeister at gmail.com
Mon May 25 03:12:38 CEST 2009

Hi List -

This is my first post. I hope I'm not repeating old stuff, but reading
the entire history of the list is a rather daunting prospect, so here
goes. I'm running Pd 0.40.3 on Windoze (because I can't get the
libraries to load on my lovely old G3 PowerPC OSX 10.3.9 box - but
that's a separate issue). I have GEM 0.91.3 (CVS) I'm finding the
documentation on the gemlist object a bit scant, and want to report
that Pd hangs on the help patch for gemlist. The patch is attached.
The first obvious problem is that the patch wants to destroy gemwin
before it creates it. No sweat, change that, then run the patch,
destroy gemwin, run it again and Pd hangs every time. I can only
assume it's the gemlist object itself that is buggy, or perhaps the
until object?

I have the same problem in the patch I am trying to build which must
dynamically generate hundreds of circle objects. I am having quite a
bit of trouble achieving this, but I'm sure it's just because I'm a
newbie to Pd. I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. Thanks
to all the developers for a really wonderful tool! Can anyone help
with above problem? I'd also appreciate some pointers on how to
dynamically generate hundreds, even thousands, of geos per frame - is
the gemlist object the answer to this problem? I'm not entirely clear
on how it works. The documentation doesn't seem to agree with the
usage - specifically, what does the cold inlet do?

Thanks in advance
Doogli