[PD] Indicating when a patch is fully loaded

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 25 13:19:38 CEST 2009

Andy Farnell wrote:

> Agreed, patch-loaded and patch-ready are different things.
>
> In some of my patches, I take a systematic approach to startup
> instead of having loadbangs dotted here and there. A subpatch
> called [pd init] is often there, containing a single loadbang
> and a big [ t b b b b b ... ], connected from right to left
> order to a set of [s startx], [start y] ... objects.
> The last thing on that list would be "ready". I'v found that
> useful to precisely sequence the startup of patches with
> initially unstable filters etc.

i think this is good practice.

> This doesn't help the cases of existing patches though,
> unless we want to retrofit them all.
>
> And it doen't help with Iohannes case where a [delay]
> is placed after the [loadbang].

i guess the main problem with RjDj is that any number of people can
create scenes. the less restrictions imposed on them (e.g. "you have to
send a bang to the global 'ready' receiver once your patch is properly
initialized") the better (though of course this would simplify
everything very much).
ideally no restrictions are imposed at all, and everything works
automagically.

fgamsdr
IOhannes