[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 26 09:07:13 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I've recently been working with 80MHz machines that don't even have
> FPUs, so I also care about oooold machines.  (These little computers are
> known as "iPods").
>
> One thing that is definitely worth trying is to update to the latest
> version of Tcl/Tk.  They have done a lot of optimization in 8.5, I think
> on X11 too.
>
> Another thing to try is writing the GUI in a toolkit that is optimized
> for speed.  I don't know if you have a GPU, but if you wrote Pd GUI
> objects using something like togl or tkzinc, both use OpenGL, that could
> also help.
>
> http://togl.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.tkzinc.org/

i am still pretty convinced that tcl/tk is not the buster, so replacing
it by someting more performant will only give you little help.
the problem comes from how Pd(-core) communicates with the Pd-gui; and
that Pd(-core) needs a lot of calculation power to make Pd-gui draw
something nicely. unless this calculations are done on the Pd-gui side,
i see little chances that things will improve.

having said all that, i honestly do not understand how the matter of
CPU-hungry gop objects impose any problems on slow machines. you are
surely not saying, that you develop your patches for
iPod/wearables/P-100 andwhatelse with graphical objects.(?!)

personally i cannot imagine developing cpu-intensive patches on my
current machine, which is a by-now-rather-oldish amd64 x2 dual-core
(well, Pd cannot use more than 1 core anyhow) 4200+, with GOP enabled.

gfmasdr
IOhannes