[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Tue May 26 14:33:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:37 AM, danomatika <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> So your suggestion is to scrap all of this and use minimal objects again?
> What is this? 1999?

I think that, pd's inefficiencies aside, if you are developing for
embedded devices with limited computing resources, you should always
pretend you're in 1999.

> This is too bad ... so why are they even in pd?  I see most people creating
> great GOP abstraction etc on what is essentially a hack more or less?

There was an effort once, in its latest incarnation was called Desire
Data, to separate the gui from the core, the client from the server
and optimize things but I think it is now in a coma.

> would probably be using Max by now if I didn't have the requirement of
> running my system on an essentially embedded device, which Max will never be
> able to do.  Don't get me wrong, I really like using pd, but I'm not married
> to it.

Do you think Max would run more reliably and efficiently than pd?  I
never tried Max on an embedded device (it would be impossible, as you
point out, unless that device was already running windows or MaxOSX)
but in my experience Max is not, be default, more efficient or
reliable than Pd.  It really is context (and code) dependent.

Yes, pd could benefit from a face-lift and optimization and whatnot to
make it more user-friendly and more pleasant to work with (and more
efficient!).  So far, most proposed changes were somehow ignored or
set aside and various branches of pd or pd-like projects never lifted
off the ground.

my 0.02

--
./MiS